PG 18

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Faux Pas · Hokkien

(I actually posted this in Facebook and it got 100+ likes in a short time. So, I told myself since it's such a success in making others laugh why not post it here. Who knows it might 'benefit' others or put a smile on my face when I scroll back to reminisce. To Penang youngsters or if you're just a beginner in learning Hokkien, you might wanna learn from my lesson.)

As you know, almost all Penang Chinese speak Hokkien. Being a Penangite, my Hokkien was fairly good enough to survive. Well, ever since studying in KL, my Cantonese improved but my Hokkien has gone all the way down the drain. Nowadays, my mom ordered food for me to refrain me from making any more faux pas. What happened? If you understand Hokkien, you might have a good laugh. *sigh*

Incident - Buying newspaper (Just now)

Me : Kong Beng.(name of the newspaper)
The guy handed me lottery paper
Me : mai zua.(don't want the paper)
(The guy sniggered but put away the paper, I walked away acting ignorant)

When I got back to car, I re-demo the scene and my parents had a good laugh. Zua(paper) and zua(arrogant) differ only in pitch. Zua(arrogant) is higher, guess I accidentally ended with a high pitch but usually people don't say "mai zua" so......okay. =_=)

This triggered my memory of Form 2 when I helped mom to order chicken rice with extra white rice. My Hokkien was really bad back then so I slurred the words and spoke in high speed in attempt to get it over with, thinking the adults should understand me anyways.

Me : Uncle, no bao KE pui, ji leh ai KE pui.
(Uncle, two packets of chicken rice, one with extra rice)
Uncle : Lu ai KEI pui, ai si KEH pui?
(You want chicken rice or extra rice?)
Me : Uhhh....cincai la.
(Uhh...anything.)
Uncle : *chuckle* Lu ai bek pui hior?
(You want white rice?)
Me : *blushed* Ah, tiok, bek pui.
(Ah, yes, white rice.)

My mom was laughing tears. If you're in a bad mood somehow, hope this makes you less gloomy. (=v=) One of the things in my holiday to-do list : Brush up your Hokkien!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lonely Snowman